Friday, August 14, 2015

Entry #5: Agents of Socialization

August 14, 2014

There are five agents of socialization - family, school, peers and mass media.

Family

School

Peers

Mass Media

All of these are important in our lives. We couldn't live or even survive the social world without even going through with this. Our family is the first people that we interact in our lives. Through them, we learn how to imitate and be like them. This is why that when a person is rude, this must mean that his  or her parents were also rude because he or she imitated them. But if a person is kind, then his or her parents must also be kind. This is why we should be careful when we interact with other people from outside our family because we carry the images of our parents wherever we go.

School is also important. In school, we learn the stuff that we should know, not only about educational stuff like Math or Science, but also life. We learn different skills that we must use when we grow up. A lot of people say that Math is very useless in life and there's no point in taking up this subject. But the important thing about Math is that it teaches us the skill of not giving up. We must never give up until we have the right answer. We will do everything and try different solutions just to get to the final answer. 

My friends or peers, as you would like to call it, really helps me in society. Because of my age gap with my parents and also my older brothers, it's up to my peers to teach me how to be like them in society. From them, I learned how to dress up because I know what kind of fashion is "in." I also learned some "slang" that I use in social media or even in person.

Last but not the least, mass media or popularly known as social media. When my parents were young, social media was not a thing. It didn't even exist yet. But today, it is a normal thing to everyone. Even young children are already in social media. Social media is very important in socialization because you get to connect with people that you don't even know. You get to learn stuff about them. You can also learn about the news and the current happenings of the world, even though you're not from there. A lot of people say that social media is bad for us, but I think social media is very useful when handled properly. There is a bad side of social media, but if we know how to use it and be responsible with what we say online, then I see nothing wrong about social media.

But the question is: What's the agent that I could not live without and what would be my life without it? Well, my answer would be my peers. 

Yes, it is true that my family is so much important than my friends, but in socialization, I guess my peers are most important than family. My family has a different society than I do, but with my peers, it's all the same. I do not live the same year as my parents did when they were teenagers, so it would be weird. Without my peers, my life would be really tough. My older brothers are so much older than I am. They are adults right now, living their own lives, while I am still a teenager and in college. This is why my peers are important. I could tell them stuff that they could only understand. I could share about my different likes and dislikes. I could relate to them and they could relate to me. And being able to relate with one another is very important in socialization.

No comments:

Post a Comment